history of Banthrico

Item number: Banthrico (4348)

.

Category: Banthrico




Downloads

Name Description File type Preview

Description

Company history and description of the company Banthrico in Chicag0

The Banthrico name and origin can be traced to Chicago in 1931 when Jerome Aronson and Joseph Eisendrath purchased the Banker?s Thrift Corporation. Banker?s Thrift had joined forces with the Stronghart Company in 1929 and had become a well-known maker of small steel building banks. The new owners shortened the name to ?Banthrico? and continued the already established line of promotional banks.
Banthrico made over 900 different metal banks; most were sold to financial institutions. This vast variety of banks reflects Banthrico?s capacity to create designs and produce molds for custom orders of as few as 500 or 1000 units. The designs included famous politicians, actors, college mascots, fictional characters, animals, birds fish household items, food products, modes of transportation, and buildings, particularly those of the financial institution giving away the premium.
After the break in commercial manufacturing during WWII, Banthrico continued production and enhanced variety during the late 1940s and 1950s by including busts of famous Americans, sports mascots, appliances, and automobiles. White metal building banks (white metal being a composition of approximately 95% zinc, 4% aluminum and 1% copper) dominated the company?s offerings from 1945 to 1985. Production peaked in the 1960s and 1970s and although the high quality standards were kept and efforts were made at diversification, the recession of the 1980s took ist toll and Banthrico was sold 1985.

Question on item

Contact
Question on item